To the detriment of “we the People”, we have been segmented into groups. This division is not healthy for Americans. It does not contribute to a sense of shared journey in these United States. Instead it pits one group against the other as every group believes that the “other” group is the cause of their misery . In reality , it is corporate greed that has created loss of Jobs, poor health and education choices and Opioid addiction
It is a fact, bad government policy and corporate greed have splintered Americans wasting “human capital” to America’s detriment.
Now , the poor , working poor and Middle Class white male considers himself a targeted group for mis treatment and feels under siege. ” He ” suffers from suicide, Opioid addiction, loss of dignity and has become part of the underemployed or unemployed. Many have slipped out of their comfortable Middle Class status and find it difficult to recover from Job loss. They were once Middle and upper Middle Management or workers earning a living wage and now they have nothing. Not even $400 in savings . They have indeed lost out in the American Dream!
To quote Robert Schiller , the economist, “we need to bring back the American Dream of a just society, where everyone has an opportunity to reach “the fullest stature of which they are innately capable.”
In defense of White Males at their prime earning years, their 40-60’s, how could “established White Males” bar them from earning a living? I reproach a society that has no compassion or empathy for all it’s citizens.
White males are human, they deserve equal opportunity to earn a decent living , to seek mental health counseling , to be retrained at Corporate expense , to be provided with a basic living wage for survival and the recognition that they exist and “we the people” see them.
No group should be stereotyped! No group should be judged! Designating groups , has been bad for society and good for the perpetuation of a corrupt do “nothing for the people ‘ government and business structure.
Cleverly, politics on the right and the left have segmented our Society, creating groups who view other groups as the enemy. Someone else took their job or let them fall into despair. In reality, over 30 years, government has worked with Big Business to create divisions among Americans, allowing some people to prosper at everyone else’s expense. Make no mistake, those who prosper cross Party lines , have no racial divisions and are bound by their common need for more!
Meanwhile, the rest of America is divided by Party lines and ethnic groups. What happens when any group suffers and is in distress? “We the People ” collectively suffer. Families suffer, their loved ones suffer and Society losses an entire generation of potential innovation.
- We can’t afford to deny the existence of those we’ve left out.
Rather , we should act and act as quickly as possible to redefine the American Dream . A society that cares for all it’s people and provides equal opportunity to all. As American greed runs unchecked , groups have self identified, making it more difficult for many to see beyond their beleaguered group. It is past time to address the needs of the poor and working class and the less prosperous Middle Class, white Males included. They too must regain a sense of purpose . Their loss is America’s loss. The American Dream was based upon treasuring “human capital”, all human capital!
I marvel at the resiliency of other Nations, while I shake my head in dismay when I think about the America I love. In the 70’s the happiness of the American worker was codified into law. Job stability was guaranteed by the Corporation. No worker worried when Corporate divisions were sold, counseling and another job equal to theirs was promised. American management valued “human capital”.
How do we reward ” we the People”, who have been left out of Technology, IT, and Manufacturing? Study our history and the common practices found today in America and other Countries.
- Solutions proposed date back to our founding fathers. Thomas Paine, believed “Everyman ” should be given a basic living wage at age 18, to be applied toward education and then again at age 55 to be applied toward retirement.
- Milton Friedman and other Economists have thought about using Helicopter money to alleviate the plight of the poor and Middle Classes. They proposed cutting a $10,000 check for the poor, working poor and less upwardly mobile Middle Class.
- I’ve thought about QE ( Quantitative Easing) for this group of unemployed or underemployed persons, too! Retire the Treasury’s “older bonds” totaling $1.7 Trillion and cut a check for154 million American’s earning $75,000 or lower for $12,000 each.
- For more examples of ” Corporate ” largess, NY teachers , like the Danes working for Elsevier in the 1990’s, when fired , they were allowed to remain employed and take up residence in designated work areas where they continued to collect their pay and benefits until they found work elsewhere.
- The Finns have continued unemployment benefits to engineers laid off by start up organizations, in order to encourage workers to take risks again, while maintaining their unemployment benefits . In this way the Finns encourage creative thinking , innovation and entrepreneurs , while maintaining individual monetary stability.
Much can be done to help our suffering distressed population, including ” white males” . In the process , by being generous, we help ourselves and achieve a better life.
Why dream small? We can save our planet , if we act locally and think globally.
Let’s start locally by acknowledging the plight of the white male too and act now to bring him back to full earning capacity along with everyone else!
Why not work together in a Bipartisan way to solve our problems, rather then avoiding them. Let’s have compassion and empathy for those left behind.
I have faith in my fellow Americans. Once awakened, I’ve seen our can do spirit! Let’s take a deep breath and let each man achieve a small step forward so mankind can benefit and prosper. When thinking about America , let’s think about all Americans . Give our “left behind ” white males a chance to re enter society, too. It would be a win win for America.
See you on Monday and we’ll chat!
“the heart and pulse of the Middle Class”