1. Germany has made a conscious effort to stop it’s dependence on fossil fuels. They are concerned by the rising cases of child asthma. THEREFORE; I wasn’t surprised to read the following articles in the FINANCIAL TIMES 1st on 7/3 & then on 7/5/13. The first article by Pilita Clark in London: Pay Nations to shun coal, says expert, Mr Bard Harstad, who has just won an environmental economics prize is proposing this idea. His study shows that countries eager to tackle climate change , including much of the EU, would find it cheaper to pay other nations to keep their fossil fuels in the ground rather then cut their own carbon gas emissions with measures such as carbon markets or taxes. Why not a fossil fuel subsidy? A model for this program exists with timber; Non government agencies as well as Nations are purchasing land and paying countries to stop deforestation , thus preserving the forests and decreasing CO2 emissions.
The leading candidates for Mr. Harstad’s program would be regions experiencing high extraction costs; such as the Canadian Tar Sands or Arctic drilling, the owners would be compensated for conserving their resources on the world’s behalf. A thought and a choice?
2. Looking at Our Country’s problems ? The Country has much to debate? NY TIMES 7/6/13; Homes keep rising in West despite growing wildfire threat. About 16% of the wild-land urban interface has been developed. But, Ray Rasker, CEO of Headwaters Economics, a research group in Bozeman, Montana, maintains we should be having a National Conversation on the other 84% . He added that” the reason that local governments are not responding and restricting development is that they don’t bear much of the cost” of fighting the fires and cleaning up afterward . ” The bulk is borne by the federal taxpayer.” And I may add, our precious youth, those brave men fighting to save the lives of others. While, according to one resident, Becky Koon, in Ravalli County, she noted, ” for some of the landowners, this is summer property, they don’t do anything to preserve their land. Who’s responsible? We have choices.
4. LOL. FT 7/6/13 In a different mould: 3D printing has led to a revolution in furniture design. Additive manufacturing, popularly known as 3D printing is transforming the way designers create, produce and manufacture furniture . Paul Loebach, a Brooklyn based designer trained in traditional woodworking, argues that additive manufacturing allows for new ways to consider form. Janne Kattanen co- founder of the Dutch design studio, Freedom of Creation, agrees with this viewpoint , but states that the future of design rests with millions customizing designer pieces to their individual tastes. iMakr, based in London, provides a service to customers who don’t have a 3D printer, they will take your files, print them and send you a finished product within 48 hours! Progress! A choice.
2 thoughts on “PUBLIC ADVOCACY: What’s happening? Climate Change Solutions”
Hello mates, pleasant paragraph and fastidious arguments commented here, I am
in fact enjoying by these.
Hi there: Thanks for your kind words.
Please continue to comment and share with your friends.
All the best. Joyce